Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

How to Lighten Up Traditional Tacos

One of the kids all time favorite meals is traditional tacos that you make using a taco kit and ground beef. I have to admit that I also love this meal, the cheese and sour cream = YUMMM. So I've tried to stay away from this because its really not that healthy, but with all the quickie dinners we need these days, it is really a good option. So the challenge is how to make them a bit healthier?

First, while at Wegmans, I found a taco kit that comes with whole grain taco shells. Next, instead of getting ground beef, I opted for ground turkey. The last thing I did was add some cleaned and rinsed black beans to the meat and sauce, and let me say, it was soo good! I did not miss the beef at all! Aubree loved the beans, but Alex did not, big surprise there. He actually opened up the taco and picked all the beans out...ugh! I tried =)

I find that its still a challenge every day to get that kid to eat better. I even gave him a little spiel about how beans are packed with protein and that if he eats then they will make him stronger, but no good it did. Oh well I will never stop trying!

A quick note about the sides for tacos, try light sour cream, and salsa to lighten up more. The other cool thing is that traditional taco sauce does not have chunks in it like salsa does, so picky kids even like it!

1 comment: