Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Eating Healthier

How do you eat healthy while also satisfying the tastes of kids?? I don't know the answer, but this year I am going to try very hard to eat better and make healthier food that my kids will enjoy too!

I have to say that one of my most favorite foods on the planet is good old homeade Mac and Cheese. I could rotate this meal every other day with Pizza, my other favorite food. But, we all know that mac and cheese is typically high in fat and carbs...=(

The good news is that I found a healthier recipe that includes a veggie in disguise, so stealth that even Alex ate it and loved it. Now that is a feat within itself!

I'll share the yummy recipe here:

Mac and Cheese with Winter Squash

1 pound of elbows or whatever pasta you like
1 12oz. package of frozen winter squash
3 cups fat free skim milk
10-12oz. of any type of cheese you like I prefer montery jack, sharp cheddar and havarti
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. powdered mustard
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
Black pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 and coat a baking dish with canola spray.
Bring the pasta to a boil, cook, drain and transfer to baking dish.

Meanwhile, put the frozen squash and milk in a sauce pan and heat on medium low until the squash is incorporated. Then, turn the heat to medium till almost simmering and take off the heat. Add the cheeses, salt, pepper, cayenne, and mustard powder. Once cheese is melted, pour over the pasta and mix.

If you like toppings, then combine 2 tbsp. bread crumbs, 2tbsp. of parmesean cheese, and 1 tsp of olive oil and then sprinkle over top!

That's it! Super easy and delicious!

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment