Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Granola Bars

This past weekend, I took a stab at making my own granola bars from scratch. The thing is, Alex is super picky. One of things he does love are those Quaker chocolate chip granola bars, that are of course loaded with sugar and who knows what else? So, I thought, it cannot be hard to make then yummy and healthier, and I have to say they were a complete success! They turned out soo good, and Alex loves them too - score!!

Here's the recipe I used:

Granola Bars

2 1/4 cups organic rolled oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup unbleached wheat flour
1/2 cup craisins
1/2 cup chocolate chips
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup honey
1 egg beaten
3/4 cup all natural applesauce
2 tsp vanilla extract

Mix oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, flour, salt, craisins, and chocolate chips in large bowl. Then make a well in the center, and add the beaten egg, honey, applesauce, and vanilla. Mix well with hands or spoon.

Grease a 9x13 baking dish, and pat the mixture in nice and flat. Bake in preheated oven (350) for about 20-25 minutes, or until the edges get nice and brown, and here's the thing, the longer they cook the crunchier your bars will be, so keep an eye on them and take them out earlier if you like them more chewy.

Once you take them out, let the pan cool for about 5 min, then cut into desired shape. I scooped them out and let them cool on a rack, but they would probably be fine cooling in the pan too!

I just love these bars and have been eating them like crazy! I think I may try and experiment more next time too. I bet they would be good with some nuts and ground flaxseed, or even puffed rice cereal or somehting like that. Make them! You will thank me!

Peace out!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog Kel! And this recipe LOOKS amazing! Missing you. Sending hugs. Stacy

    ReplyDelete